Wednesday, October 23, 2013

The Crazy Watch Thieves


Waylon Jin

 
British Literature E Block

 
Mr. O’Brien

 
October 23, 2013

The Crazy Watch Thieves

          

Down the long and lonely street of my childhood neighborhood, a small market always intrigued me. It sold little trinkets and fascinating items like watches and toys. Before running to home after school I would stop by the little market. The smell of old antiques and the touch of old books intrigued me. Some books had dust all over them and some items were even rusted. A dirt ground ran through the market and dust was everywhere in the sky. Couples were happy and the atmosphere was cozy and welcoming. However, the one antique Minerva watch caught my attention the most. It’s polished glass and leather material was unparalleled to anything else I had seen in my life. One day, I saw that my parents were in a good mood and decided to ask them if I could buy the watch, I told them the watch was selling for only $10. Their only response was, “The last thing kids your age need nowadays are watches, wait till your grownup to buy one.” The more my parents told me to wait, the more I was tempted to try to get the watch.

On a Saturday when parents were away at a gala in New York City I decided to invite my friend over to decide how to steal the watch. My best friend, Carsten suggested that he distract the seller and I then proceed to steal the watch. But, I really wanted to get an adventure from the theft. I plotted out posing as an adult and wear a mask, while standing on Carsten’s shoulders. After introducing myself to the seller as a fake name, I would put on the watch. I would flash it around my face several times to see if he noticed and when he doesn’t notice I would run off. Carsten liked the idea and we planned the following Friday to prepare. Before then, I was anxious with happiness and worry. What if my parents found out?

Friday came and I ran off the school bus with Carsten to my house. We put on the disguise and rehearsed acting like adults. I practiced some grown up phrases that I heard online, like bashing on children and describing boring jobs. After 15 minutes of careful planning we proceeded to the market. A typical day it was, the market was a little bit busy and people were excited to see new items. The watch was exactly where I expected it to be and the seller was there too. I followed my plan exactly and the seller did not notice that I took the watch. On the way back to the house, Carsten and I were running with joy about the wonderful watch. We opened the door to my house and to our surprise were my mom and dad. However, they did not have the happy look I had, they seemed extremely angry. Dad said I had someone to apologize to and opened a door revealing the seller. He said that he installed a listening device that recorded Carsten and I’s conversation. However before I could be extremely mad on my dad for spying on me, he told him the plan that the seller had. The seller switched the real watch with a decoy and pretended to play along with my plan. An hour ago, when I stole the watch the seller stepped back and pretended to be talking to another customer. He knew that I was standing on my friend’s shoulder and even purposely looked at his feet to be assured. On the first day I saw the watch, the seller had a suspicion that I wanted the watch, only in one edition. I was so shocked that I had no clue what to say.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment