Friday, October 25, 2013

Story 2: The Freakout


 On one particularly sweltering day at camp a particularly dramatic second grader named Macie was playing in the sandbox. She played a game with herself in which she would bury her sandal and dig it up again, marveling at her find. I wondered what might happen if she buried the shoe so deep that she couldn’t find it again. I soon found out.

The challenge of Macie’s game was to bury the shoe deeper and deeper until she buried it so far down that she couldn’t find it again. Her precious sandal was lost in the sandbox. The sun hid behind the clouds and the sandbox was shadowed in darkness. My heart sunk as she promptly began to cry, blubbering that her mother would be upset with her if she came home with only one shoe. I immediately began digging, trying to unearth the shoe before she erupted into a tantrum. I tried to find it, but due either to my inferior burrowing skills or my unwillingness to become too sandy, I was unable to find her shoe. Macie burst into tears, and continued to cry even after I had exhausted all of my methods of child-soothing. Although meltdowns were not a rare occasion, my temper was short and my tap of patience was completely dry. In a desperate attempt to enlist the other campers in my search, I announced that a piece of candy would be awarded to the camper who could find the shoe. After being enticed, all of the campers ran over to the sandbox to help, and I was overwhelmed by a dozen pairs of feet came trampling through the sand and a dozen pairs of tiny hands began digging. Violence broke out as digging and trampling turned into kicking and scratching, in a desperate attempt to find the shoe first. More girls joined Macie in crying. The situation was worse than before and it was completely my fault.

The shoe was quickly found and Macie was somewhat appeased by its return, but I needed to damage-control on a major scale to undo all of this chaos. I distributed candy to all who had participated, and once everyone had their Jolly Ranchers, the sun came back out and order was restored.

No comments:

Post a Comment