Thursday, October 24, 2013

Sonnet, Chaucer, and Tale Research



1) The Sonnet I Chose was -"How Do I Love Thee?" (Sonnet 43)-Elizabeth Barrett Browning
I thought the theme of love played an important role in Browning's life as she intensely illustrates her love for a man-
How do I love thee? Let me count the ways. I love thee to the depth and breadth and height My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight For the ends of being and ideal grace.I love thee to the level of every day's Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light. I love thee freely, as men strive for right. I love thee purely, as they turn from praise. I love thee with the passion put to useIn my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith. I love thee with a love I seemed to lose With my lost saints. I love thee with the breath, Smiles, tears, of all my life; and, if God choose, 

I shall but love thee better after death. 

2)Chaucer’s Affluent Status Helps Him Rise in Ranks-found that his noble birth really helped propel him in society and helped foster his love for writing...Potentially his birth helped get his book become world renowned as he was well respected 

    Born to an affluent family
    This noble birth helped him in multiple ways as he was able to: become a servant to Countess Elizabeth, be released from being held hostage
    His noble birth and marriage into an influential family helped his position in court
    When the queen died in 1369, it served to strengthen Philippa’s position and subsequently Chaucer’s as well. 
  •  In 1370 he went abroad again and fulfilled diplomatic missions in Florence and Genoa through 1373


3)The Following article is from a feminist point of view which I found interesting to see a different perspective from a strong woman advocate 




No comments:

Post a Comment