Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Terrell Smith story


Terrell Smith

Mr. O’Brien

10/22/13

 

 

My Hero: Lotion

 

 

The first weekend of summer break was suspected to be spectacular filled with tan girls, big waves, and an over-whelming amount of food. Little did I know that a bottle of lotion would save my life.

When I heard the news I was going to Ocean City New Jersey, a myriad of activities raced through my mind while I packed my bag filled with strictly swim shorts and white tees. Mini-Golf, Go-cart racing, swimming, and my favorite, eating at buffets, were some of the many things I wished to do in just one weekend. For my family and I we make this trip annually, enjoying each other’s company as we do all of these activities together. With everyone’s busy life of school and work it is rare that we all get together and spend time with each other, so we always take advantage of this weekend filled with laughter and love.

The suns out and so are the guns(muscles) as my cousin’s and I stroll out to the beach. With each step, anxiety increases as we cannot wait to feel the unforgettable sensation of the waves splashing against our body. Before the fun begins it is essential that we stop at the nearest store to buy accessories such as glasses and hats. At least one of us usually buys a buggy board knowing that none of us knows how to use it. My oldest cousin who you would think would be the smartest of the group, shows that he is actually the least intelligent when he buys a hat that delays our beach adventures. He buys a hat that takes about an hour to make, the store clerk tells us because of the spray paint. Due to his creative imagination he gets a hat that says only “Quinn” on the front made of what he describes as “cool” letters. Instead of rubbing our feet in the smooth and gentle sand, we walk around aimlessly looking for something to do, although he have already eaten and spent most of our money in the store. Finally after an hour goes by because of a hat, we begin our path toward the beach.

Not able to hold in my anxiety I sprint towards the beach ahead of my cousins. Without looking back, I find a spot near the tide and lay my hat and glasses down and dive in the ocean. The chill sent a spine-tingling sensation down my back as I enjoyed my first splash into the waves. The perfect combination of the hot sun and the chill waves made me forget about all troubles in life, as I floated to the rhythm of the waves. Rocking back and forth, I noticed my cousins just arriving to the spot where I laid my items down. “Terrell come get Sun Screen lotion!!!!”. These words I never thought would save my life. Minutes later after I departed from the sea to spray on sun screen, there was a shark warning, because a shark reached shallow water and ultimately had washed up where I had been swimming minutes before. I realized that I could have been that shark’s lunch if my cousin would have never called me over to put on sun screen. That shark was swimming where I was and it was a miracle I had not been attacked. If it wasn’t for CopperTone sun screen spray I would not be hear today. That lotion saved my life and I will forever use that lotion whenever I visit any beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment