Monday, February 17, 2014

ch. 17 "The curtain was swept back from the arch; through it appeared the dining-room, with its lit lustre pouring down light on the silver and glass on a magnificent dessert-service covering a long table; a band of ladies stood in the opening; they entered, and the curtain fell behind them." Why did Charlotte Bronte use curtains as a motif in this story? What do they represent?

ch. 18 "I was forgetting all his faults, for which I had once kept a sharp look-out." Jane about Mr. Rochester. Might Jane be falling for Mr. Rochester just because she is naive and this is the first man in her life that has been kind to her?

ch. 19 "You are silly, because, suffer as you may, you will not beckon it to approach, nor will you stir one step to meet it where it waits you." Is Mr. Rochester's speech disguised as a gypsy am accurate explanation of Jane?

ch. 20 "Bitter and base associations have become the sole food of your memory: you wander here and there, seeking rest in exile: happiness in pleasure- I mean in heartless, sensual pleasure- such as dulls intellect and blights felling." What does Mr. Rochester's hypothetical unveiling of his past tell us about his character?

ch. 21 "When I was a little girl, only six years old, I one night heard Bessie Leaven say to Martha Abbot that she had been dreaming about a little child; and that to dream of children was a sure sign of trouble, either to one's self or one's kin." How does the theme of superstition add to the story or conflict with the theme of religion and Christianity?

ch. 22 "I felt glad as the road shortened before me: so glad that I stopped once to ask myself what that joy meant: and to remind reason that it was not to my home I was going, or to a permanent resting-place, or to a place where fond friends looked out for me and waited my arrival." Why is Jane so insistent upon being sad and uncomfortable even after she finds a place as welcoming as Thornfield?

ch. 23 "The thought of Mrs. O'Gall and Bitternutt Lodge struck cold to my heart; and colder the thought of all the brine and foam, destined, as it seemed, to rush between me and the master at whose side I now walked, and coldest the remembrance of the wider ocean- wealth, caste, custom intervened between me and what I naturally and inevitably loved." Will Jane ever overcome her past and learn to see Mr. Rochester as an equal?

ch. 24 "While arranging my hair, I looked at my face in the glass, and felt it was no longer plain: there was hope in its aspect and life in its colour; and my eyes seemed as if they had beheld the fount of fruition, and borrowed beams from the lustrous ripple." Is beauty a theme or motif in this story? If so, why?


No comments:

Post a Comment