Tuesday, February 4, 2014

California's Many Landscapes

California. The state with so many landscapes it will make your head spin Driving up the Pacific Coast Highway, the ocean on my left, the town of Laguna nestled into the rolling hills to my right, two different sceneries collide into one overwhelming image I see dozens of boys in their wetsuits in the frigid, sapphire colored waters attempting to catch the perfect swell, their endless summers spent in the ocean A short-lived moment in Laguna passed by me, whisking me away up the coast to Carmel As we made our way up to the town of Carmel via the PCH, I was surprised by the creatures I stumbled upon Making a pit stop at Hearst Castle, my family sauntered around the grounds of this Gatsby-esk estate, sitting atop a peak overlooking the vast 360 degree view of the glistening Pacific Ocean The marble pool to its right of the estate, with its roman inspired pool house Horses, goats, buffalo, and yes, even zebras grazed on the rolling hills of San Clemente Leaving the estate, we found ourselves on the PCH, unknowingly driving on the side of the mountains, inching up in altitude as we drove higher into the clouds Hanging on by the tire treks of our suv, we were wound around the curves and bends of Big Sur I fail horribly trying to describe these mental photographs stored in the deep depths of my memory However, a single photograph taken by yours truly accurately illustrates the overwhelming beauty the California coast offers to its people After arriving in Carmel, I found myself on a hidden drive that ran its way around an inland cove One home caught my eye, its foundation gripping the edge of the small cliff The juxtaposition of land and water surround the contemporary dwelling Clusters of jutting rocks usurp the calm waters below, waiting for the house to collapse into its waters The clap of the ocean hits the rocky foundation just below the home, creating a steady rhythm The jutting rooftops lifts towards the heavens, all too purposeful to give the impression of space are the focal point of the home Although secluded and isolated from the other homes along the hidden path, the modern building finds itself to be surrounded by other life The sun above, the waters below, the home sees the life positioned before it

No comments:

Post a Comment