Monday, April 14, 2014

The Underdog

Because I said so
He yells as the door slams in my face
The whipping wind blows through me
As I stand facing the place
That I call home

In a square of light I see my mother
The gravitational pull of shame
Keeps her eyes fixed to the floor
Father’s not the only one to blame

I fall asleep on a park bench
Listening to the creek of swings
Whispering memories of childhood
The dry crunch of wood-chips brings
Me back to those days

I awake and walk to school
Through the halls I hear the gossip
Kids pointing out my dirt stained clothes
Unaware of my hardship

Frustration builds inside of me
Without a way to make it stop
They circle like vultures on the hunt
I’m on the edge about to drop
Collapse into myself

The tears well up I need to hide
I burst inside a room about to blow
But a solitary student’s in my way

“Get out” I shout, “Because I said so”

No comments:

Post a Comment