Monday, April 14, 2014

I Don't Waste Food

I used to be able to sit cross-legged when I was 5
I would curl up into a little ball
Most likely because I was 4 feet tall
And my body could bend in all sorts of ways
And bruises and scraps would magically go away
Like the problems we faced on a regular day
Of school
Kindergarten was where we used to rule

But 11 years later and my mind is all torn
I’ve got people to see and work to do
And a laundry list of things to get done
Some days it’s likely I don’t see the sun
Cuz I’m crammed in my room suffering from work
And I complain to my father
That it’s senior year and I should be out.
We all have hard.

And that’s all I really have to worry about.

But you see
Its my complaining and maintaining which
Makes me realize what I’m saying
And how my words actually sound
To the people I see around
The ones who struggle and fight for food every night
And those who are forced to find the hardest ways
To get any sort of pay
We all have hard.

But I see
More than the average rich white American.
Because I see
The opportunities given to me
My parents always told me “Don’t waste that food on your plate”
Because food was a gift but I was too cross-legged to see that.
It’s the gifts I’ve been given that I need to make a living
Not for me
But make a living to better someone.
Life is about relationships
And I need to make them meaningful

There’s no major in college for the collage I’ll major in
Relationships with people of different backgrounds I’ll savior it
Helping people finding jobs to raise their kids who do nothing but sit
Around and wait for someone to educate their minds that haven’t been lit
Because I complain and maintain your average GPA
But I’ll gladly try to fix problems of the world without seeing day
Because sometimes that cross-legged kid curled up inside you like a little ball
Feels forced to change the ones who struggle into the ones
Who can tell their dad it’s their senior year
And that their family no longer has something to fear
Because they will get an education and a job
That can keep this family alive and away from the mob
And they thank their parents for the opportunities they were given
They will live well while wilding living.

My body used to bend in all sorts of ways
Now it’s sore and rigid and I must stretch to play
But my mind which was once so torn at 16
Is now bending in directions and I’ve got a new view
And it starts with the relationship of me and my food





No comments:

Post a Comment